Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Religious Reboot

The coming evangelical collapse | csmonitor.com

Coming from a very strong healthy church, it is very easy for me to see a sick church. One of my hardest struggles in moving to a new state has been finding a solid church. I can honestly say that I have visited more sick churches than healthy ones and that is sad.

I have annoyed more than one person with my dislike of the megachurches who cater to everyone. It almost makes me sick to my stomach when I go to a church on Sunday morning and am subjected to rock music, skits, and a feel good sermon. It doesn't make me feel good, it makes me feel bad. I feel bad for myself, who wasted a Sunday morning on something I could have gotten watching Oprah (who I refuse to watch), and I feel bad for everyone else who is getting fooled into thinking this is what will get them to heaven.

I can't help but think that a lot of "Christian" churches have brought this on themselves. They have sold out their doctrine in favor of decorating a new building, chosen entertainment over evangelism, and tried to commingle coffee bars with the Commandments. The combination of all these accommodations and concessions, along with their decision to pick and choose what to follow in the Bible has uprooted their foundations. It is no wonder that they are crumbling. A crisis of this magnitude could cause America to become like France, a godless, dark country. It it my hope that we have a religious reboot and true revival will take place before it is too late for American Christianity.


No comments:

Post a Comment