Tuesday, February 17, 2009

6 Months Out...


So here I am, 6 months out from the start of my marriage, move to DC, and start of a new job. If you would have told me 5 years ago that I would be living in Washington DC, working at a law firm, and spending more money on fabric than clothes, I would have said you were crazy. But here I am, a Midwestern Transplant and a Hostage Hoosier in the limestone and concrete world of DC. Being right in the middle of the political center of our country has made me acutely aware of how out of touch with the real world DC is.

The values I have been brought up on have shaped me into a strong character with a biting sarcastic humor that enjoys pointing out everything that is wrong in the world. This has worked both for and against me. I have learned how to control it so that it makes people want listen to what I say, even if they disagree.

My sheer frustration with the direction of this country has spurred me to inform everyone around me of what is going on. I see people around me, walking around in a dream world of American prosperity and the way things are is going to be the way things will always be, and it scares me. People do not pay attention to the news or financial markets because they have never had to, because in my generation, things have always been good. Those in power are using this sense of security to quietly strip our freedom away.

I have gotten an immensely positive response from my posts to Facebook. I have become the go-to girl for a lot of people on a wide range of topics. I never expected to have that kind of impact, but I am glad people think enough of my opinion to read and take into account my point of view on things. So at the encouragement from several close friends, I have decided to start a blog. It could be good, bad, or ugly, but we will see where it takes me.

Don't be surprised if I post something ripping a politician and immediately switch gears and start talking about my latest sewing adventure. My life centers on about 5 things, the Bible, politics, sewing, Brandon, and a little black and white terror known as Daphne. My mind is constantly overflowing with ideas on everything from projects to politics, opinions to overlooked ideas, and doggies and dogmas...welcome to my mind, you're in a for ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment